Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Best Things in Life

I was reading The Mom-tionary yesterday and this post got me thinking. (Thanks a lot Kristina! *wink*). More specifically her closing paragraph:

"That's what's part of being a mom, or any parent. Exhaustion comes with the territory. Yes, I'm tired and am looking forward to just conking out for the night, but I've been worse. And yes, tomorrow, I will get up and do it all again, except trading some chores for others. And yet, I wouldn't trade my Monkey Boys or all the work that goes with being their mommy."
There is a famous saying, "The best things in life are free". I don't believe this is true. The best things may not cost any money, but they are certainly not free.

The things I treasure the most--have cost me the most.

My Husband: To commit yourself to one person takes a lot. It's a sacrifice. I must put myself aside and put him ahead of me. Sometimes this means I must do something I don't necessarily want to. Sometimes it's hard to not be selfish.

My Children: These dear sweet little people have cost me a lot. I'm not just talking about pregnancy, labor and birth and the toll having these children have cost my body. But I've had to sacrifice myself sometimes to put them first. Some days are so long and exhausting I wonder how I can go on. Some nights have so little sleep that I wonder why I bother at all. I've put aside some of my own dreams and aspirations to raise these children into productive, loving people.

I'm not complaining here. And I hope I don't sound like I am. I am just trying to point out that good things come with hard work. It takes work to make a marriage work. You don't just say "I do" and live happily ever after. You work towards that happily ever-after; every. single. day. Kids take work. Even when you don't feel like it. Even when you are so tired you don't know how you'll go on--you have to. You keep going because you love them.

When I can look back on the last four years without a hint of regret or discontent, or look into my husbands eyes and know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he loves me, no matter what--I know all the work we put into our marriage was worth it. When my little boy says "please" and "thank-you" all on his own or crawls into my lap and says "I love you, ma-ma"--I know my sacrifices were worth it. When my little girl smiles at the sight of me or lays sweetly sleeping in my arms--I know every sleepless night was worth it just to have her in my life.

When I look at my life I don't see the day-to-day struggles of being a wife and mother. I don't notice the hard work it took to get here. I see blessings. I feel contentment. I know love.

The best things in life may not be free. But they are worth it (oh yes they are)! And I wouldn't trade one minute, one second, for anything.

1 comments:

Kristina said...

I love being quoted. ;) Great post, Jess!

 
design by suckmylolly.com